Friday, February 20, 2015

Insomnia by J R Johansson

I told you about my favorite author ever--now let me tell you about my second favorite author ever. Funny thing is, she's local too. You'd think all my favorite authors would be super famous and known nationally. Nope. I don't think fame makes a great author or a great book.

Great writing does.

I met Jenn Johansson at an LDStorymakers conference (awesome place for writers of any level). Her debut book, Insomnia had not quite been released, but during the book signing, she posted on Facebook that the next two people to come up to her and say "Insomnia's better than nightmares" would get a free arc.

Umm, yeah. My friend and I ran to her the moment we saw it, and that's how I got my copy from an unknown author. Now, I'd done a bad thing by that time already--I'd purchased about $200 worth of books. I know, I know. But I couldn't help myself! They had a large bookstore, and I was there without my husband to stop me!

Yeah . . . it's my own fault. I know.

So the funny thing is, when I got home, I had about twenty books to choose from. But all I could think about reading first was the one book I'd been given for free, and here's why:

Cover:




Back of the book:

Instead of sleeping, Parker Chipp enters the dream of the last person he's had eye contact with. He spends his nights crushed by other people's fear and pain, by their disturbing secrets--and Parker can never have dreams of his own. The severe exhaustion is crippling him. If nothing changes, Parker could soon be facing psychosis and even death.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful rest that is utterly addictive. Parker starts going to bizarre lengths to catch Mia's eye every day. Everyone at school thinks he's gone over the edge, even his best friend. And when Mia is threatened by a true stalker, everyone thinks it's Parker.

Suffering blackouts, Parker begins to wonder if he is turning into someone dangerous. What if the monster stalking Mia is him after all?

Umm, how does that not sound like an absolutely amazing novel? I read it first and am so glad I did. I loved it! There were a lot of things about this book that could have gone in the direction of every other story out there, but never did. Everything about the plot was different. I did guess the ending, but my husband thinks that's my super power. When lots of people can't guess the ending, I can. That could be the reader or writer in me. However, despite knowing the end, I loved every second of this book. Jenn kept me guessing at many other things, and she did succeed at making me question my ending guess several times.

I've never really tried reading YA Thrillers before, but it seems they're one of my favorite genres. I could not put this book down. I read it in one sitting. Writers dream to make a book so interesting that the reader has to keep turning the pages, and Jenn totally succeeded with Insomnia. This is definitely a "I'd rather read this book than eat chocolate." Oh so much.

Okay, AND the second one is out and the third is coming out this summer, so there's not too much waiting to finish the story. I'd lend you my copy, but my sister has already borrowed it. Go to a library, borrow it, or better yet, buy it. It's worth every penny.

Rynn



2 comments:

  1. Umm, this book sounds AWESOME! I am definitely going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete