Thursday, September 1, 2016

"The Row" by J.R. Johansson



Being an author, even an unpublished one, has its perks. For example, not only am I friends with incredible published authors who let me read an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) before their book comes out and review it, but sometimes I go to a writer’s conference and win/buy ARCs too. So when “The Row” by J.R. Johansson was part of a charity auction, you can bet I bid until I got it.

It’s no secret that I’m a total Johansson fan. I love the way she brings characters to life, and I’m amazed at how she can draw emotions out of me as a reader. “The Row” has both of these characteristics that make me continue to love her work and be amazed.

First of all let’s check out this YA thriller’s cover and what it’s about:


A death sentence. A family torn apart. One girl’s hunt for the truth.
Seventeen-year-old Riley Beckett is no stranger to prison. Her father is a convicted serial killer on death row who has always maintained that he was falsely accused. Riley has never missed a single visit with her father. She wholeheartedly believes that he is innocent.

Then, a month before the execution date, Riley’s world is rocked when, in an attempt to help her move on, her father secretly confesses to her that he actually did carry out the murders. He takes it back almost immediately, but she cannot forget what he’s told her. Determined to uncover the truth for her own sake, she discovers something that will forever change everything she’s believed about the family she loves.



Poor Riley. Poor, poor Riley. This girl goes through the ringer in all the right ways. The conflict drives the pace, making this a page-turner, but also gives you the ability to breathe in the right places. The first two chapters were a tad slow. I think that’s because the setup of the book is written on the back of the book and then really shown in the first two chapters. They’re great chapters, but a little slow.

Chapter three is where we really get to see Riley and a couple of other characters who I adore. By this point, I’m hooked and can’t wait for my kids to nap so I can read more. Matthew has to be the cutest kid in the literary world. I love his honesty, his bluntness, how easy it is to be his friend. If you like cars and give him attention, you are in the club, my friend!

His older brother, Jordan, is both funny and daring. Jordan and Riley’s banter made me jealous of that quick wit and reminded me of the fast and fun conversations of my beloved television series, Gilmore Girls. Jordan and Riley both have motivations and goals, which continue to propel the plot and pace through the rest of the novel. The romance is cute with real reactions and problems without overtaking the plot.

I love figuring out twists. It’s part of why reading is so fun for me, to see if I can figure out the puzzle by the end. “The Row” was complicated and clever enough that I could never think, “Oh, this is the answer.” Twists left me second-guessing myself until the end, and even then, I only got a piece of it.

One of the reasons I will always buy Johansson’s book, even before reading it, is her ability to draw emotions out of me. “The Row” pulled at my sympathy and fear, my worry and heartstrings, all for characters who don’t actually exist. I love living in the world with Johansson’s characters, even though they are typically in mortal danger.

Don’t miss this book, which comes out today. This book is better than chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment