Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

If you're not a fan of Brandon Sanderson, you should be. And if you haven't read any of his books because he's mostly a Science Fiction/Fantasy author and that's not your normal read, there are plenty of books to try. Take it from me. I'm less likely to pick up a Fantasy or Science Fiction and a lot more likely to hang around the YA shelves at Barnes and Noble over speculative romance. I love me a romance.

And Brandon's not known for romance.

So why has Brandon Sanderson become my number one favorite author? Because he's a brilliant writer. He knows how to craft a story that keeps me up all night. And so you know, I LOVE my sleep. I need it not only to stay pretty, but to keep from winning the grumpiest mom and wife in the world award. And Brandon's stories make me want to give up both my beauty and happy demeanor just so I can get in "one more chapter..."

So I'm going to start with The Rithmatist.



Don't let the cover scare you away or the "fantasy" aspect. It's YA, fast-paced, and with enough world-building to please fantasy lovers (like my husband) but not so much that people like me start to skim. Here's the back cover flap:

More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Chosen by the Master in a mysterious inception ceremony, Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings—merciless creatures that leave mangled corpses in their wake. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles.

As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students learn the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing—kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery, one that will change Rithmatics—and their world—forever.

I loved this book. LOVED! If I had to choose between my favorite chocolate in the whole world or to read The Rithmatist, I would pick to read this book. No doubts. It's fun, creative, fast-paced, and a genre that seems to push the boundaries of normal fantasy. It feels less like the fantasy norm and more like an alternate reality with amazing elements that I could never even dream up. The characters are real. I'm certain they live in this alternate universe that I just can't travel to. They're too realistic not to. And they're interesting. They aren't your average Joe and Susan, yet they're relatable. I also kept guessing at what would happen. I'm pretty good at figuring endings out, as I try to write novels myself, but this one kept me on my toes until the end.

And there is a little romance. Brandon Sanderson, you dog, you! It's nothing intense, and you can tell he's new to the whole writing a romance thing, but it's sweet and it works with the story. It's blossoming slowly and fills my need for anything romantic.

The only bad thing is we're waiting for him to write the next book. And though Brandon can crank out two amazing books in a year, he has many projects. I can't wait for book #2. I'll buy it the day it comes out, even if I have to not eat chocolate for a whole year to pay for it!

Read it, guys. It's really good.

Rynn

2 comments:

  1. Brandon Sanderson spoke at my school. He was amazing. He had the entire student body of middle schoolers in the palm of his hand. Since then I've been wanting to read his stuff, but haven't been sure about where to start. I will start here. This sounds right up my ally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE his novels. They are amazing. One of the next books I'll review of his is called "Steelheart." It's about a world where super powers come into existence but all super people are corrupted. There are no super heroes. Also has more of a romance and is YA. That one is also excellent to start out with. But more on that one later. :)

      Delete